Nothing says Braai quite like a tasty and authentically South African spiced dish. Fire up the flames, gather your family and create bigger, bolder and better flavours to celebrate your heritage.
The pan seared lamb chops Shisa Nyama recipe from Hinds Spices are perfect for any braai occasion, from peri-peri chicken kebabs with grilled corn to a proudly South African platter and seared Shisa nyama style lamb chops, ideal if the weather is fowl.
Since 1959, Hinds Spices have been giving Mzansi an array of herbs, spices & peppers to make every meal taste bigger and go further, each and every time.
3 tbsp cooking oil or preferred oil
2 tbsp garlic, minced plus extra 1 extra Tsp
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp Hinds Spices Steak and Chops
1 tsp Hinds Spices Mixed Herbs
2 tsp Hinds Spices Paprika
Salt and Hinds Spices Black pepper
800 g lamb chops, French trimmed (optional)
1 tbsp butter
1 sachet Bull Brand seasoning in ½ cup water
¼ tsp Hinds Spices Cayenne Pepper
½ tsp Hinds Spices Black Pepper
Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. In a small bowl add oil, garlic, lemon zest, Hinds Steak and Chops spice, Hinds Mixed Herbs, Hinds Paprika, Hinds Black Pepper and salt. With a spoon mix everything together to make a marinade.
2. In a flat tray lay the chops flat on a single layer and drizzle over each with the spice and herb marinade. Rub the marinade to coat both sides every corner of the chops.
3. Clingwrap or cover the tray and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour.
4. Once the chops are marinated, you are ready to cook.
5. Heat sautéing pan over medium-high heat.
6. Once pan is hot, sear the chops on each side for up to 2 minutes then remove the chops from the pan and set aside to rest.
7. Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add butter and the extra teaspoon of minced garlic to the pan and cook for one minute making sure you don’t burn it.
8. Next whisk in the brown stock and cayenne pepper. Allow the sauce to slightly thicken about 2 minutes.
9. Add chops back into the pan, baste with sauce and continue to cook the chops until they are at your level of preference. Sprinkle with Hinds Black Pepper and remove chops from pan and place on serving platter.
10. Garnish with parsley and serve with your favourite sides; pap and relish.
Chef’s tip: Make sure you pat the lamb chops dry before searing to get a lovely colour to them. Also sear on high heat for a gorgeous golden colour.
To create more delicious dishes for your Braai Day celebrations, visit www.hindspices.co.za for tasty recipes.